[Zope-dev] ZCatalog features

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:11:46 -0400

RE: [Zope-dev] ZCatalog features> What I meant to say was, I think that
access to the Union and Intersection
> operators would be a very useful feature as long as it would not involve
> a change to any other documented APIs etc...

OK, good this is what's specified in the fishbowl proposal (in a number of
ways).

> By user visible, I meant the AND/OR keyword processing in catalog queries
> on textindex fields. Would it be possible/easy to add this to other field
> types?

Not really... the default behavior of field/keyword indexes is to do a union
on the documents that match a list passed in, e.g. ['a', 'b'] matches
documents with either 'a' or 'b' as index elements.  There can be no "and"
for fieldindexes (because they only store one value).  For kw indexes it may
make sense, but is unimplemented.

Drop-in indexes will hopefully solve many of these problems.