[Zope-dev] Help on Zope security needed ...

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:22:33 +0200 (CEST)

Joachim Werner writes:
 > I am trying to get into understanding the Zope security machinery (Zope
 > 2.4), and it seems to not quite do things as expected:
 >
 > I have a Folder hierarchy like this:
 >
 > ROOT
 >   --FOLDER
 >

 > - In ROOT I have a method "title" and the "index_html" method
 > - I have a user "Charly" that has ther role "TitleViewer" in a user folder
 > in FOLDER
 > - the method "title" has View permissions linked to "TitleViewer" and
 > "Manager"
 > - the "index_html" method contains a string "<dtml-var title missing>"
 >
 > Now I go to http://.../ROOT/FOLDER/index_html. My user is "Charly".
 >
 > I would expect to see the title now, but I don't. If I remove the "missing"
 > from the <dtml-var title>, I will get a key error for "title".
That's as it should be:

  Zope security had been strengthened to explicitly forbid access
  to objects outside the folder covered by the authenticating
  user folder.

 > The funny thing is: http://.../ROOT/FOLDER/title will work fine ...
Indeed, funny. Should probably not happen. Are you
sure, you get the "title" form root and not that from "FOLDER"
(it has a "title" of its own).

 > Also, if the user is in the ROOT folder, everything works fine. But then I
 > can't really do what I want, i.e. restrict permissions to the FOLDER folder
That's to be expected, because then, the authenticating user folder
covers the "title" method.

Dieter