[Zope-dev] SOAP support: request for comments

Bill Anderson bill@immosys.com
02 Aug 2001 23:56:08 -0600

On 01 Aug 2001 15:02:47 -0400, Brian Lloyd wrote:
> > (Brian blathered:)
> > I will volunteer to start a separate proposal to try to combine
> > the current SOAP proposals with my own biased agenda :) This is
> > something that will _really_ require a group of people who care
> > to pay attention and provide feedback (especially on the use
> > cases, though I'll volunteer to make the best start I can).
>
> Ok, I've finished a whack at a proposal, for those interested:
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/WebServicesForZope
>
> I'm pretty sure the most controversial part will be my stance on
> automagically exposing everything via SOAP the way we do now
> with xml-rpc :^) I have my fire-retardant skivvies on, so let
> me know what you think and let's make hashing that out the
> first order of business :^)

I commented on the site, but thought I would post some of my concerns
here as well ... get a broad base, so to speak.

My concerns of the 'magic', would be dependant n whether or not your
stance includes a limit on SOAP support. i agree that Web Servies !=
SOAP, but IMO, if your proposal means that SOAP support in Zope is only
available in a Web Services ... 'namespace', then we will be sorely
lacking in someting quite useful.

For example, I have a GUI for user management that uses XML-RPC right
now. I would MUCH prefer to use SOAP for it. It really is not a
webservice, and it would be a mistake to make it one, just to get to it
with SOAP.

I am very interested, and knee-deep in Web Services development (both in
and out of the web) right now, so consider me in on the proposal
process. :)

Be warned, I am rather opinionated (though open) on it so far. :)

I would like to see Zope be an excellent development environment/server
for SOAP Services.

Bill Anderson