[Zope-dev] ComponentArchitecture thoughts

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 15:05:21 +0200

Hi!

> I listened in on the chat regarding this and although I think the idea has
> merit, I'm not sure that it is vitally important right now.  It could too
> quickly turn into a lot of burned time with nothing to show for it.

Tim, that's a good point. Though I am quite enthusiastic about having a more
component-based architecture for Zope, it has to be at a reasonable "cost".

> Right now, I think that 2 things could flatten the curve for new
developers
> that are more accessible:
> 1.  Rewrite ZClasses.  This is currently an ominous threat that could
break
> much backwards compatibility.  Many ZCers want this to happen too.  So
let's
> make it happen now, and break less rather than more.
> 2.  Simplify the security model more, if possible :)  I know, it's been
> done, but it's still not easy.

These two issues can be found in various partly overlapping Fishbowl
proposals and initiatives. I think that a lot of people are waiting for
them. For security, see the latest threads I and Michael Bernstein have
started ;-)

One of the important points to make is that ZClasses (or a replacement for
them) as well as the security model are frequently used by Zope users (or
"configurators") , while the new components model will mainly be a benefit
for Zope programmers (i.e. people working on extending Zope rather than just
using it). So their impact might be much larger ...

If I was asked, I'd say the most important things to do in Zope are "better
ZClasses" or whatever can replace their functionality and a more robust and
better-to handle security. If all this can be done in a component-oriented
way, this would be great. ;-)

So the component architecture is more like a paradigm that should be used
with new projects than a new "Product" or whatever on its own.

Joachim

BTW: I missed the chat. Will there be a transscript somewhere on zope.org?