[Zope-dev] DCOracle2-Beta5 with Oracle8i

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:12:04 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Juan Javier Carrera Obrero" <jcarrera@uco.es>

> I have installed the DCOracle2-Beta5 product in my Zope 2.4 with Python
> 2.1 for Win32 plataform. However, when I run the install.py file with
> Python 2.1 version (and the win32 extensions installed), it shows
> the next error:
>
> "ERROR: DCOracle2 failed to load
>
> The most likely reason DCOracle2 failed to load is a platform
> binary mismatch between your version of Oracle and the
> version of Oracle the pre-built binary was compiled against,
> Oracle 8i.  You can either rebuild DCOracle2 from source, or
> install Oracle 8i client libraries on your computer.  You
> may be able to obtain Oracle client libraries at
> http://technet.oracle.com
>
> The python error message is:
> exceptions.ImportError: DLL load failed: Uno de los dispositivos
> vinculados al sistema no funciona."
>
> However, I am using the Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0.

Juan,

This more and more seems like an Oracle Client issue:
- Do you have several Oracle Products Installed?
- In which order were they installed?
- Do you have several Oracle Homes?
- What is the order of the Oracle Homes?
- Which Oracle Home is detected First?

> Also, I have tried compile the source files, but it generates a error
> because it does not found the "oci.h" file. This file is not in the
> packaged DCO2-beta5.zip file.

This file is included when you Install the Oracle Development packages (i.e.
OCI development, etc...) there is an option in the Oracle Client CD to
install this.

Note(s) to Matt:
================
1) What version of the Oracle Client are you using to build DCO2?

2) I have Zope 2.4.0 and separately I have ActiveState python 2.1.1. The
install.py file looks at the Active State python rather that the on supplied
for Zope, and thus fails for my python, even though the modules should be
binary compatible for both 2.1 and 2.1.1. I also suggest changing the check
to include "2.1.1" for now.

3) I also suggest clarifying the installation document to add a manual
installation section and here say something like "if you want to make a
manual installation, copy the appropiate module for your platform from the
'binaries' subdirectory to the 'DCOracle2' subdirectory (i.e. side by side
with the 'DCOracle2.py' file) and rename it  to 'dco2.pyd'"

4) What are you using on windows to compile the module? from the projects
files I guess "Visual C-something" from Microsoft. Can I use other compilers
(cygwin, the free borland stuff, etc)? if visual-c something, what version?

Sincerely,

/dario

Dario Lopez-Kästen     Systems Developer  Chalmers Univ. of Technology
dario@ita.chalmers.se  ICQ will yield no hits    IT Systems & Services