[Zope-dev] Re: Zope CVS in a bad state?

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:17:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Last week, I reported about inconsistencies with the Zope CVS.
>
> With Ken's help, I could find out that my problems have not
> been caused by the Zope CVS but by my local configuration:
>
>   I had an entry for "cvs.zope.org" in my "hosts" file.
>
>   While "cvs" looked there to resolve the host into
>   an internet address, "nslookup" bypassed the hosts file
>   and directly contacted the DNS server.
>   Therefore, I did not detect that I had a stale internet
>   address for "cvs.zope.org" and got an old
>   and inconsistent checkout as a consequence.
>
> Thank you, Ken, for your assistance!

Thanks, dieter, for reporting the result to the list!

For my part, i have (and wish i earlier had) prevented similar occurrences
by inhibiting CVS pserver on the old cvs.zope.org.  This way, anyone
accidentally trying to do pserver checkouts from there would have them
fail, rather than getting checkouts that are surprising in painfully
obscure ways.  (There then will be a possibly obscure failure to connect,
but that should be easier to recognize, and less insidious...)

Ken
klm@zope.com