[Zope-dev] Efficient and flexible object references

Gary & Karyn Gary & Karyn" <garykaryn@earthlink.net
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 01:16:41 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Alexander" <steve@cat-box.net>
<snip>
> You could consider a per-transaction cache of data, as used in
> ZPatterns, <...snip>

Yes, you are right: I really need to look at ZPatterns again.  It was a bit
beyond me last time I checked it out but I have a better handle on Zope
basics now so just looking at few pages today on the ZPatterns Wiki looked
significantly less daunting.  The transactional cache, the rack, and the ids
look like a great match for my needs, on a superficial quick look.  Thank
you for your ideas.  I'll pursue them.

> I've been playing with the idea of a new kind of Rack that uses an IO
> BTree to store its objects. You'll be able to access the objects with an
> integer id, or as normal by string id, using a standard convention that
> applies to every object in the Rack. An example of such a convention is
> "creator-%08d" % id  where an object with id 12 would also have the
> string id "creator-00000012".

This sounds like an excellent idea.  It could be a unique global id within
the whole Zope, and simultaneously a fast integer id within the rack.  I
would love to know if you do anything more with this idea.

> Also, this thread would best be moved to the zpatterns list:
> zpatterns@eby-sarna.com. Take a look at http://eby-sarna.com for signup
> instructions.

Thanks again.  I signed up on the list on your recommendation; I think I
want to read the Wiki a bit and look at some of the ZPattern code before I
participate, but then I'll pursue there as well.

Thanks!

Gary