[Zope-dev] Open Letter to zope-dev

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 01:33:55 +0100

> Where's the $99 version of Zope?  The $499?  The $1499?  The
> $25999?  Zope Corp hasn't pulled that card out like many other
> vendors have.  There are actually many pieces of Zope that were
> initially commercial add-ons (or intended to be) that are now all
> open source.

I sometimes have the feeling that we might NEED a $xx(x) version of Zope --
a ready-to-go, preconfigured Zope distro with a decent manual.

Not for us, the community, but for the average user. O.k., we could do it
for free, but would there be a Red Hat or SuSE Linux distro if it was
totally for free? It even CAN be downloaded for free, and still people are
willing to pay for it. And the money is needed. Without the support from the
major Linux distributors, projects like XFree would probably be in big
trouble ...

This is a totally different business model than the one Zope Corp. is using
right now, but it might help refinancing the overhead a good community needs
to have ...

Just my 2 (euro)cents ...

Joachim