[Zope-dev] my comments on i18n

Juan David Ibáñez Palomar jdavid@nuxeo.com
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 13:33:33 +0100

Hi all,

I've readed the relevants messages right now, hope didn't
missed any. Instead of trying to answer everybody I'd like
to make two concrete proposals.

As Paul said in the Paris meeting and as Joachim W. has
stated in a previous mail, one thing we can work on is in
a common way to get translations from message catalogs, from
Python code and DTML and ZPT templates.

Don't matters where the messages and their translations are
stored, either in a "ZBabel Tower" or in a "Message Catalog"
or somewhere else, they would be get in the same way.

So, Stephane, Joachim and every body else, we can work on this
if want.

I would propose to do it in a wiki and step by step: first Python
code, when have finished with it we move to DTML, and finally
to ZPT.

The output from this would be an specification for the way to
get translations from message catalogs in the ZODB.

My second concrete proposal is about content negotiation, which
includes language negotiation. There's already a proposal for
this in the fishbowl:

   http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/HTTPContentNegotiation

This proposal was made by Andreas Jung and Tino Wildenhain, let's
move it forward. IMO this should be the first thing to put in the
core.

--
J. David Ibáñez, Nuxeo.com
Debian user (http://www.debian.org)