With Oracle as well Re: [Zope-dev] More signal 11 restarts....

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:19:08 -0500

Dario Lopez-K=E4sten wrote:

>Well, sorry to disapoint everybody, but we have the same signal 11 resta=
rts
>here.

Oh sure, go spoil my "blame it on the other guy" theory.

>We are using DCO2 latest from CVS and have _very_ high Oracle database
>usage.
>
>We have yesterday changed from our solaris box to a linux box and
>performance has increased dramatically (the linux box ia a 1.8 GHz P3 :).

That's to be expected with the clock speed differences.  Unless you use=20
sun's CC, you get fairly poor SPARC code out of gcc, IMHO.

>also the threading problems we previously had seem to  have dissapeared.

Yah!  I think that had to do with the rather *stupid* act of=20
forgetfulness on my part to re-enable python threading around execute().

>Now, what can we do to pin down the problem. Is there anyone else that i=
s a
>heavy databse user on similar circumstances that can share information?

I may see what I can do to try to write a script to be able to invoke=20
gdb in the event of a crash.  Stay tuned.

>I am starting to suspect that there is some kind of DA problem here...

Actually, since its a mysterious sig 11, it's a C module someplace...=20
there is probably ONE module which is referring to an object after it=20
has been deallocated.

>Also, for the record we usually get a bunch of these quite often:
>
>2001-11-04T09:04:33 ERROR(200) ZServer uncaptured
>  python exception, closing channel <zhttp_channel connected
>  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:2181 at fb4edc channel#: 2286 requests:4>
>  (socket.error:(32, 'Broken pipe')
>
>[/usr/local/zope/dist/Zope-2.4.1/ZServer/medusa/asynchat.py|initiate_sen=
d|21
>4] [/usr/local/zope/dist/Zope-2.4.1/ZServer/medusa/http_server.py|send|4=
14]
>[/usr/local/zope/sw/Python2.1.1/lib/python2.1/asyncore.py|send|330])
>

>We were seeing the same error (asyncore.py|send|330, etc) on solaris.
>
>Any thoughts

Well, that means "the browser user clicked 'stop'"  -- Medusa is just=20
telling you the channel went away on it.  Thats normal when the browser=20
chops the tcp connection.