[Zope-dev] Re: core i18n support

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
07 Dec 2001 14:12:55 +0000

On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 11:47, Paul Everitt wrote:
> In fact, we'd like to start a pattern of opening up the sprints to
> outsiders.  We'd like to invite folks to Fburg for a sprint.  Though
> you'll pay your own freight, we'll supply a spacious cubicle. :^) If
> you're interested, contact me.

> Third, we'd like to host an open house on the Thur and Fri after
> IPC10.  Besides an open house, we'd like to have perhaps a massive
> sprint.

[ sorry for x-posting, I wanted a eurozope perspective on this ]

An exciting invitation, but ultimately frustrating for those of us in a
different timezone.  A lot of the active Zope community is in Europe,
and a lot of us are members of very small businesses or academia (I
think).

At a minimum, coming to Fredericksburg would cost about $700 (travel and
accomodation and food).  If I wanted to visit IPC10 too, it would be
between $1000 and =A31700.  Would other members of the EZ business /
academic community be willing to stump up this money?  I'd be interested
to know.  I don't think *we* could justify it at this stage in our
business development - we already use a lot of resources on zope r&d,
and community support.

IMO, the economic reality of this community and its resources (on this
side of the pond, at least) means it will stay vapour.  ZC is the
biggest fish, and the only times we in Europe will see you folks is when
you come over here.  When are you going to open a London office? ;-)  Or
perhaps we could consider distributed xp (using irc, kibitz, etc...?)

Thanks for the invitation, though :)

OT: big OSS conferences seem unfairly priced against the small fishes
who make up a lot of the OSS community. Or am I being naive?

seb