[Zope-dev] Persistence ( was Thread Safe Counting )

Jon Franz jfranz@one.net
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:48:18 -0500

>> Morten's product stores the counter's
>> value in a file on the filesystem, and so it doesn't cause the
>> Data.fs to grow.
>
>Hmmm, well, my counter above wouldn't cause the data.fs to grow all that
much,
>since it subclasses Persistent and so gets its own pickle jar.
>
>cheers,
>
>Chris

So subclassing persistent will avoid changes to the object being stored and
roll-backable in the ZODB?  Nice!  Now, if only we could get this sort of
store-in-place functionality on a more fine-grained level (like on
individual
properties) - we could avoid a lot of coding to prevent ZODB bloat with
simple
features.. Ie, if I were to make a 'persistent porperty' on a DTML method,
I could store counter information in that property without worry
of ZODB bloat.

Hrm... *Jon staes into the distance wondering how much will break
if he tries to implement a 'persistent' flag for properties*

~Jon