[Zope-dev] Windows registry?

Wolfgang Strobl ws@gmd.de
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:13:15 +0100

On 12 Feb 2001, 23:04  Chris Maresca wrote:

> If I recall correctly, there is a tool for doing this call srvany,
> part of the resource kit.

I use srvany for running some background services written in
Python on some of my servers. It works so far, but not as reliable
as I'd like - especially stopping/restarting a service often fails,
which is a PITA.

> Mine installed as a service on w2k by default...

This doesn't use svrany.exe, but pythonservice.exe, which is part
of the win32 extensions written by Mark Hammond, now with
ActiveState. "Python programming on Win32" by Mark Hammond
and Andy Robinson contains some documentation on how to use
pythonservice.exe. The Windows version of Zope makes use of this
driver program, when installing Zope as a service. The relevant logic
for running Zope as a Windows service is contained in
Zserver/ZService.py.   I intend to switch from svrany to using
pythonservice.exe for the aforementioned reason.

That's almost all I know about this specific topic at this time; I'd
suggest that Andy McKay might ask his colleague Mark about
pythonservice.exe, instead of doing guesswork :-)

--
      o      (     Wolfgang.Strobl@gmd.de (+49 2241) 14-2394
     /\        *   GMD mbH                       #include