[Zope-dev] Re: ThreadSafeCounter

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:57:52 -0800

> | The ideal solution would be to use an object that lives in the ZODB,
> | I wonder if there is a way to keep the 'object history' empty?  That
> | is, keeping the counter 'packed' while retaining 'object history'
> | information on all other objects.

That would work, however I just dont think that fits neatly into the ZODB in
any way since all objects are appended.

> I'm no ZODB expert, but I think the short story is that you can't have
> this across several threads -- because you would have to use _v_
> attribs.  And what good is a ThreadSafeCounter if it's not threadsafe?

Well it would be threadsafe since the object cannot be written too by
multiple threads as discussed earlier it will keep try 3 times and then
fail. To me the ideal answer is a simple FileSystem product that allows you
to mount a file system inside the ZODB. This would implrement locking and be
hence be thread safe. Its a real science project. This would also have to be
ZEO friendly, but to be honest for my use and most other peoples, this isnt
a huge concern.

> I like XML-RPC.

Me too but its sloooow.

--