[Zope-dev] freebsd file: table is full when starting zope2

Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:50:18 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Sin Hang Kin wrote:
> When starting Zope2.3 from the freebsd box, the kernel says : file: table is
> full.
>
> The kern.maxfiles is set to 1064, does zope really need that many? what
> number should I need to make zope happy?

I noticed this problem with Zope and FreeBSD a long time ago, and
managed to track it down to zserver or python or a python module
opening every possible socket number separately on startup (this
is from an lsof dump as zserver is starting).  The ones it doesn't
use get closed somehow, but it sure was a weird thing to see.  I've
no idea if this is a bug in zserver/python or a bug in FreeBSD,
and since it hasn't been causing me any real problems (just the
message in the log), I haven't bothered to track it further.  I
still see the messages though, and I'm now running FreeBSD 4.2S
and Zope 2.3.0.

--RDM