[Zope-dev] The structure of lib/python/*

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 10:47:54 -0500

Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Erik Enge writes:
>  > I've been reading a lot of Zope code the last couple of years, but
>  > still I really don't see any overall structure of lib/python.  Is this
>  > documented somewhere?
> I find the names quite self explanatory.
>
> Yes, I am a person that believes in self explanatory names
> and minimal documentation.
> If the structure were documented, you probably would not find
> it and few people would read it when they accidentally came
> along it.

Nevertheless I think there are some modules and packages that are not
self-explanatory.  Just for fun I came up with a categorization scheme
for the different major Zope components. People have talked about
"componentizing" Zope before, but the list below leads me to believe
that Zope already is componentized.  The majority of the modules and
packages can be pulled right out and put in other projects.  Only the
packages in the "Zope-specific" category can't be pulled out.

Shane

  Zope-specific

    AccessControl

    App

    Globals

    HelpSys

    OFS

    ZClasses

    ZLogger / zLOG

    Zope

    zdaemon

    Products.OFSP

    Products.SiteAccess

    Products.StandardCacheManagers

    Products.ZopeTutorial

    ZDom

  Utilities

    DateTime

    LOG

    MultiMapping

    unittest

  Python language enhancements

    ExtensionClass

    MethodObject

    ComputedAttribute

    Acquisition

    Interface

    cPickle, cStringIO, crc32, zlib, ts_regex

  ZODB-related

    Persistence

    BTree, IIBTree, IOBTree, OIBTree, intSet

    ZODB

    ZEO

  Templates

    DocumentTemplate