[Zope-dev] ZCatalog Lazy Results

Casey Duncan casey_duncan@yahoo.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:01:36 -0800 (PST)

--- Johan Carlsson <johanc@torped.se> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to check an assumption I have made on the
> ZCatalog Brains and Lazy Results from reading the
> source.
>
> 1. The Brains gets its schema from the ZCatalog and
> this
>     schema is basicly fixed. E.g. a search result
> always has
>     the attributes defined by the Meta Data in the
> ZCatalog?

Yes, you always get all the meta-data. However, does
anyone know how the "used" argument of
ZCatalog.searchResults works, or why you would use it?

> I would rather be able to construct a Brain Schema
> at search time
> equivalent to the way theSELECT statement sets up
> the result attributes
> in SQL.
> Example:
>     resultset =

Catalog.searchResults(query,schema=('id','title','keywords'))

Why is this important? I would suggest not putting big
stuff in the meta-data that might warrant this. Just
use the nifty new (v2.3) getObject method of the brain
to access whatever properties/methods of the actual
object you might need.

> 2. The laziness of the ZCatalog search result means
> it's batched?

Lazy sequences work by not loading the result items in
memory until they are actually accessed.

=====