[Zope-dev] Minor typos/changes to ZCatalog.

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:50:07 -0500

The short answer is "you can't, easily".

The splitter breaks text into discrete words. The splitter also
removes "stop" words, words under two characters long, numbers,
and symbols. It returns a (non-unduped) list of words after
pruning the text of stop words, symbols, and numbers. The
current splitter implementation (as of Zope 2.3.0) is written in
C, and it is most effective when used against English text.

The splitter may also remove semantically desirable symbols which
are part of words, or it may remove words completely. For example,
the splitter will split the word "t-shirt" into "t" and "shirt". It will
then drop "t" (because it's less than two characters), leaving
"shirt". Another example: the splitter will turn the word "C++"
into "C" (after removing symbols). It will then drop "C",
removing the word entirely. If you wish to change this
behavior, you need to delve into code to replace the splitter
implementation.