[Zope-dev] ASP pages in Zope

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:49:32 +0200

Hi Net0,

I'm afraid it does not work. Theoreticaly someone could easy write
an ASP emulator for Zope. But I dont think this will happen since
Zope with PythonScripts, External Methods, PageTemplates and even the
good old DTML is much more powerful then ASP. Things like session
management need some more work, however, but there are some products
available as well.

If you really need Unicode, you should aim for Zope 2.4, since it
comes (and depends on) python 2.1.

If you change your application according to the specials of Zope,
you get the great chance of reimplementation. Which should be done
for every substantial software product from time to time to match
the changed needs and get a clear, straight solution.

Take the time and learn Python (it does not hurt, really ;-) and what
zope can do for you. Try to forget all, I mean all about your ASP
coding! (Sure, you can use python in ASP as well ;)

Write down what your application is supposed to do rather then converting
the source. You will find the reintegration goes much quicker then the
first solution you had.

HTH
Tino Wildenhain