[Zope-dev] ZServer should redirect for folder objects?

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:21:55 +0200

Hi!

> Hi :-)
>
> --On Donnerstag, 26. Juli 2001 15:51 +0200 Christian Scholz
> <cs@comlounge.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> >> Why do people always mirror? I dont see the advantage in it. If you think
> >> about caching, you will see you dont need mirroring at all but can
> >> transparently
> >> influence which element is complete dynamic and which is somewhat static
> >> by sending different expires: header. At least squid can be configured
> >> to not let people force reload from outside.
> >
> > For example: One of my customer wants some snapshot of the site for the
> > archive on CD-ROM... So how do I do that? (without giving them a full
> > Zope install on it which is sometimes even not possible as there are
> > sql databases etc. involved..)
>
> This is hard anyway. Imagine you have many forms or even have content-
> negotiation running :) So it might be more easy to put a complete
> Zope on the CD ;)

Well, they don't need the forms for the archive and even not running forms.
They are more interested in the content..
But the point is anyway that it should work regardless if it makes sense or
not in some situations (IMHO) ;)

> > And in general I think the "you don't need it anyway" answer is always
> > the solution ;-) I also think that there has been some more problems
> > with the base tag I just don't remember them anymore ;-)
>
> Sure, may be it is possible to patch absolute_url() so it does not
> render the full hostname (relative=1) + leading slash.

Hm, in ZWiki or WikiForNow I always remove the relative=1 from wiki_base_url()
in order to make it work again with the virtual site root. But haven't thought
about it more than that and what it means for the base tag..
(I also looked once into traverse() but somehow it said not that much to me.. ;-)

> > (but I remember that we came to the conclusion that it's not possible
> > without it anyway as there is some structural difference between the Zope
> > object model and the web object model (if you can call it that way..
> > let's say directory structure ;-).
>
> Lets say object path expressed as URL ;-))

well, in case of Zope yes, in case of Apache not really.. (though the HTTP spec
like to talk about itself in form of a object protocol.. ;-)

-- christian

--
COM.lounge                                          http://comlounge.net/
communication & design                                 info@comlounge.net