[Zope-dev] SOAP support: request for comments

Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:43:46 +0100

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:25:47 -0700, ppetru@ppetru.net (Petru Paler)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Almost a year ago I did a quick hack which added SOAP support to Zope. =
It really
>was something I played with in order to understand what this whole SOAP =
thingie
>is about. To my surprise, though, my web server access logs show that =
people
>have actually downloaded it :)
>
>Now, one year later, the situation is different (a couple Python SOAP =
libraries,
>as opposed to only one) so I'm looking into actually finishing (or =
redoing) the
>SOAP support for Zope. For this, I would very much apreciate comments --=
=20
>especially from those guys who already used my patch, or think they are =
going
>to use Zope and SOAP in the future.

I was really excited when you first released this SOAP patch. I
*thought* I was going to be using it alot, but to my suprise Ive never
actually looked at it (sorry).

I guess the problem is that xml-rpc is almost good enough, and the
advantage of xml-rpc being in the standard Zope core is enough that I
cant justify the time experimenting with an alternative. (I do use
xml-rpc alot)

However, the fact that SOAP support was available if we needed it was
enough to tip the balance in Zope's favor for a couple major projects
last year.

I do hope SOAP support is integrated into the Zope core this time
round.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com