[Zope-dev] Does creating REAL over-the-web Python code become realistic with Zope 2.4?

E. Seifert e.seifert@gmx.net
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:47:14 +0200

Hi Joachim,

Joachim Werner wrote on Friday, June 01, 2001 12:54 AM:
> If we can reload Python code at runtime, and we can also edit, generate
and
> store files (containing code)  via the web (as LocalFS or extFile prove),
> then it should be perfectly possible to have something like ZClasses (it
> terms of the over-the-web front-end) that spits out and dynamically loads
> REAL Python classes instead of the rather experimental simulation of
classes
> we get with ZClasses, right?

Your suggestion sounds like something stated in the Zope Directions Document
at http://dev.zope.org/Resources/ZopeDirections.html:
>The major goal will be to simplify how components (now called products)
>are built and used. For example, currently some products are built in the
>filesystem and some are built in the object database. We want to remove
>this distinction so that all components can be edited via the filesystem
and
>live in the object database.

Joachim Werner wrote on Friday, June 01, 2001 12:54 AM:
> What do you think about this idea? If it finds some friends, I'll set up a
> formal proposal for something like "ZClass-like features to build REAL
Zope
> Python classes over the web".

Well I think many people would be interested to reduce the differences
between ZClasses and python products.
At least I would be interested.

Regards
Eric