[Zope-dev] SOAP again (or, xml-rpc client for MSIE)

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:59:24 -0400

I have an IE 5.5 one-page web application that manages related database tables
exposed as ADO recordsets from a Zope/Interbase/Linux server.

I would like to use either the webservices behavior in IE5 or find an XML-RPC client
component for IE 5.5 so I can make RPC calls into Zope in a standard, controlled
manner without hand-coding all my calls into HTTP object PUT methods.

I'd like to send structured types (or dicts), and get back a structured response, errors as
exceptions (or not).. I want to avoid re-implementing this stuff.

SOAP, WSDL and UDDI are coming in a big way. I think Zope/Python can compete
against MS .Net Services on the server side, but it does make sense to use .Net
components on the client, such as the webService behavior for IE.

On 5 Jun 2001, at 9:41, Adrian Hungate wrote:

> What are you actually trying to achive?
>
> Adrian...
>

> Phil Harris wrote:
> >
> > Brad,
> >
> > There are a few COM/COM+ components around that do xml-rpc.
> >
> > I use them with MS Word to write Word files directly to Zope for instance.
> >
> > Some are better than others, but ymmv so I'll hesitate to recommend one.
> >
> > At least one of them is listed on xmlrpc.com.
> >
> > Having them you could script them via jscript, and basically open up the
> > connection easily.

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               AOL-IM: BKClements