[Zope-dev] [Announce] API Documentation Fishbowl Project

jimbo jimbo@tacomaplace.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:50:43 -0700

I hope this helps. I wanted to add my feelings on the whole documentation issue.  It seems to me that the whole process caters around developers too much. I gotta tell you I loved Zope the moment I found it.  These days I'm having trouble though wondering what is it all for? I've used zope for the past few jobs and the customers did not have any interest in using zope so they changed the sites.

  I believe that if you are a true developer you will/can figure out the api given the vast information available today.
  For example the dcworkflow product was just released. I believe the best documentation would be  how-to actually use the product.

One thing would be to adjust the documentation to spoon-feed to the masses zope and all the wonderful things that people can do with it now!

If you spend too much on wooing developers and not the types doing the hiring, you might just end up being a small niche serving hobbiest who do this for fun.

  Please don't banish this wonderful product to Eternal Geekdom by not simplifing the documentation by putting together concrete examples on how to implement concepts and products.

In short enough geek speek.  Change the language into something the rest of masses can understand.  How can I use zope/API to get PAID!  How can I actually make the dcworkflow or the core session or the ZPT do something.  Plenty of example uses. I think they might call them case studies or something to that effect.

Thanks,
-Jimbo