[Zope-dev] DCOracle2 Beta 3

Matthew T. Kromer matt@digicool.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:46:54 -0400

For all of you (or at least, BOTH of you<smirk>) Oracle users out there,
I packed up DCOracle2 Beta 3 this morning, including Z Oracle Stored
Procedures as part of ZOracleDA.

It can be found in the usual place,

    http://www.zope.org/Members/matt/dco2

This isn't much different from Beta 2 except for some SP tweaks and the
Z Oracle Stored Procedures, except that the NT builds are release
versions with Oracle 8i (e.g. SP discovery code) features enabled --
when I built Beta 2 I goofed the build and packaged a debug release
without the 8i specific features on.

I'll confess that I'm not a heavy user of Stored Procedures, so your
mileage may vary; particulary when using IN/OUT binds where type
conversions need to take place from unweildy Oracle native types (like
SQLT_NUM.)

If you play with the stored procedure objects in Zope, it's probably
worth pointing out that the default permissions won't include execute
permission -- you have to specifically enable that for non-manager roles.

On the far-out front, a few people have asked how you might do
user-specific connections to the database (ie instead of pooling by a
common connection, you individually authenticate to Oracle with your own
password).  Clearly, cloning the base Connection object would be fairly
straighforward, but authenticating it to Oracle would not be, as the
user password wouldn't be available.  If anyone feels strongly about
that (ie you have a notion on how you would make it work and/or you need
it), feel free to write me.  From a performance standpoint it would be
terrible, but security auditors would love it.