PossitionIndex (was: Re: [Zope-dev] ZCatalog phrase indexing revisited)

Erik Enge erik@thingamy.net
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:32:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Chris McDonough wrote:

> Hopefully we can graft on real NEAR searching in the future.  For now,
> I think "foo AND bar" is about as close as you're going to get to
> phrase searching without post-filtering results.

Me got a patch: <URL:http://nittin.net/erik/software/PossitionIndex>.
You'll have to do some importing in Products/ZCatalog/Catalog.py to make
things work (and modify the parse() and parse2() to work with
AdjoinedBy).  It isn't tested much and should really be put through a
Fishbowl project first, but I've got no time for that unfortunately.

If someone else would like to do that, they are welcome to :)

To be really useful I think the PossitionIndex' _proximity dictionary
needs to be turned into a BTree of some sort, but apart from that I don't
know what is missing.

It was hard to get my head around SearchIndex and write a new index all in
the same day, so there might be some "design-errors" in
PossitionIndex/ResultList.py.  Although, I didn't add at much to it.

And speed might be a problem, haven't really tested that yet.  Will during
the weekend though.