PossitionIndex (was: Re: [Zope-dev] ZCatalog phrase indexingrevisited)

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:31:32 +0200

> Rik Hoekstra writes:
>  > This raises the question how dependent the splitter on the paticularities of the
>  > document source - I do not really see how different splitters could be useful
>  > for one single document. This is perhaps less obvious than it appears, as you
>  > may want to use different splitters for documents in different languages. Taken
>  > as a whole I would say choosing a splitter would be a decision that had to be
>  > taken at indexing time anyway. But perhaps it's just my imagination that is

> Of couse, the search must follow the same splitting rules
> than the indexing did. Changing the rules (the splitter
> or its configuration) after indexing will make the index
> inconsistent.

I agree; in fact I think we're saying the same. What is more interesting, is how
(less than when) you decide to use which splitter. With heterogeneous documents
I'd think it would be difficult to decide automagically...

Rik