[Zope-dev] ZPL and GPL licensing issues

Morten W. Petersen morten@thingamy.net
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:50:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hi there,

we @ thingamy are considering changing our license to a ZPL-ish one [1] to
better serve our clients' needs.  However, some of the (Zope) products
we've developed may need to rely on GPL'ed code, or needs to be
incorporated within it, and the 'obnoxious advertising clause'
seemingly puts a stop to it..

The ZPL is listed as a license incompatible with the GPL, but it doesn't
really say clearly what the reason is, as far as we can figure, it's
because of the advertising clause.

Anyways, I'm wondering if any of you have encountered the same issue
developing Zope products and any solutions towards it.

Some interesting articles, food for thought:

http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/main/0,10228,2777053,00.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

[1] http://www.thingamy.com/tpl