[Zope-dev] ZPL and GPL licensing issues

Gregor Hoffleit gregor@hoffleit.de
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:05:43 +0200

Hmm, I think this discussion doesn't belong to zope-dev.

Still, for those interested in that topic: I raised a similar question on
the debian-legal mailing list just yesterday ("Q: Combining proprietary code
and GPL for in-house use"). The discussion is still ongoing, and it
certainly gives you some insight in the topic:

    http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Debian-Linux/208/25/5997636/

Just a few points: It looks that from the viewpoint of the FSF, when you're
using the header files of a GPL library, you already have to accept the
license.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 01:12:20PM -0400, Jim Penny wrote:
> It appears to me, that, if you want to play it safe, you would
> not distribute the code under license G and license T on the same
> medium.  It is certainly acceptable to call code released under
> license G from code released under license T; but it is not clear
> that you can do subclassing and such.

I think this is wrong. Providing things on the same media is "mere
aggregation" and therefore not a problem on its own.

It's not acceptable, though, to distribute a proprietary program that has to
be linked with a GPL component by the customer--even if you distribute this
on separate medias!

If you're interested in this, feel free to come over to debian-legal and
read the ongoing discussion.

    Gregor