[Zope-dev] Speed up the learning curve

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:51:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Rene Pijlman writes:
>  > A suggestion to cut the Zope learning curve down by half a day...
>  >
>  > When the programmer forgets the docstring in a method of a Python-based
>  > product, instead of saying
>  >
>  > 	"Sorry, the requested resource does not exist."
>  >
>  > Zope could say:
>  >
>  >       "Sorry, this method has no docstring."
> Doesn't it do precisely this when you run Zope in debug mode?

I didn't loose half a day to this one, but I did loose at least
fifteen minutes.  And I'm a fairly experienced Zope/Python programmer.

Furthermore, I do not in general run in debug mode during development.
Most of the time I am developing with continual customer review, and
the customers get confused and worried if the tracebacks appear on
the error pages, so it's easier just to not use debug mode.  I do,
however, run with stupid log enabled.  So if it is unacceptable to
have a more informative non-debug message, it would be nice to have
something show up in the stupid log.

--RDM