[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Zcatalog bloat problem (berkeleydb is a solution?)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:58:10 +0100

Chris McDonough wrote:

> This purpose aligns well with those of the ArmoredCatalog proposal as well..
> see http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ArmoredCatalog .
>
> > But even using such a "lazy catalog awareness", you might get into
> > trouble. Using the ZCatalog's "find objects" function, I hit the limits
> > of my Linux box: 640 MB RAM were not enough...
>
> This should not happen.  :-(

Just to add another data point, we're still having issues if we catalog-as-you
go when trying to recreate our mailing list archives in Zope. As I understand
it, the guys managed to get it to work by importing 28,000 odd message and then
indexing, rather than indexing as each one was added. This was using Zope 2.3.2,
should it be expected?

cheers,

Chris

PS: Andy D was going to post this but he went home ill, I don't think that was
ZCatalog related ;-)