[Zope-dev] Re: Zcatalog bloat problem (berkeleydb is a solution?)

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:15:31 -0400

Well,  I'm not sure, unfortunately.  I just wanted to get an idea of
what kinds of indexes you had.  The tranalyzer output doesn't mean too
much to me, because it shows BTree buckets and such getting updated,
which is completely understandable... there are at least two data
structures in the Catalog itself that use a BTree, and each index uses
at least two BTrees.  So it's not all that surprising to see that
output.  What is suprising is to hear the amount of growth a transaction
causes.  The only thing I can think of is that:

a) you're committing inappropriately (at times where it would be OK to
not commit)

b) the data fields your indexing or getting metadata from are large.

c) something awful happened between 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 that I dont
understand.

d) the problem is unrelated to the Catalog.

I'm afraid I can't be any more precise than that.

-C