Something better than ZClasses (was: Re: [Zope-dev] Re: Zcatalog bloat problem (berkeleydb is a solution?))

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:49:01 -0500

>Well, it's quite logical: UML can be used to map out both software and
>business development (they are, after all, two sides of the same story),
>the designer can twiddle-n-polish the interface and the programmer can
>take care of 'exceptional tasks' that can't easily be taken care of via
>the UML interface without adding too much complexity.

I agree. The facts are:

- A simple DTML Zope programmers costs are okay and maybe below programmer
average.
- A good Zope/Python programmer will cost above average.
- A good Zope/Python System-Designer is very expensive.

Because of that you try to minimize the Designer's time by providing a nice
tool (UML tool, such as ObjectDomain). Then you try to minimize the Python
Programmers time by auto-generating the framework and only make him to fill
the methods with life. Now, because we have a UML diagram, the DTML
programmer can start right away with programming the DTML and HTML around
the data/functional model, since the API is clear. This way you optimized
several things:

- Minimize the time of the expensive people.
- Minimize the development time, since many people can work parallel.
- Because of the above, you minimize risk and money spent. And voila, you
have a well functioning RAD team.*

* This assumes that your team works together well. ;-)

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Richter