[Zope-dev] FTP interface being worked on?

Bijan Fathi vector@reflex.at
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:33:44 +0100

>* Fred Wilson Horch (fhorch@ecoaccess.org) [010312 10:27]:
>>> Another serialized format that all Zope objects support is the XML
>>> interface, which exposes all the objects' guts.  With XML-RPC I
>>> envisioned being able to improve on the FTP interface by adding things
>>> like md5 checksums to determine if the local and remote objects are in
>>> synch.  I haven't looked too deeply, but presumably via XML you could
>>> support all of the management functionality that is currently provided
>>> by the HTML management interface.  So you could build a client with a
>>> rich feature set for managing Zope objects.
>
>An idea might be to just impliment the rsync protocol, which does a
>lot of this already.

Thats a really good idea, to add rsync support, but the much better way to
have verson control would be having release and versions (and maybe later
branches).

Thats a problem with the current fs, a cvs like version expanding would be
great, like
<dtml-meta>
  <version>3</><revision>2</><release>4</>
  <changelog> Bugfix refererred to Bugreport #4711. </changelog>
</dtml-meta>
The user would be the user who had logged in, of course.
The only problem of ftp is that it is not able to manage versions, I would
suggest (a toggleable mode) to have a folder for each document where the
versions would lie into as files (representation) for ftp.

yours sincerely,
Bijan Fathi