[Zope-dev] Playing with DateTime

Juan David Ibáñez Palomar palomar@sg.uji.es
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:43:57 +0100 (MET)

Hello Stefano,

I used mxDateTime about two years ago, when I worked with Bobo, the
move to Zope brought lots of advantages, the only thing I missed was
mxDateTime.

The discussion about DateTime comes to the mailing lists between time
to time, you can look what has already been said about it in the
archives, for example:

  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2000-May/108798.html
  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2000-September/118269.html

Yes, switching to mxDateTime would require a lot of work in Zope and
also would break lots of products and web sites, while patching DateTime
is a more quick(&dirty) solution.

IMHO there're no good arguments against reusing a so good piece of code,
in the long term at least; mxDateTime is the standard in the python
community, only zopers use something else; and it's free software: if
the original developer does not support it anymore others can do it.

But I understant that if you only want to fix something it's more
quick to patch DateTime.

best regards,
jdavid