[Zope-dev] Bizarre Version Behavior

Edmund Goppelt goppelt@goppelt.net
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:47:19 -0500

I'm worried that versioning is not working properly on my Zope 2.3.0
web site.  Since my site is due to receive some major publicity, the
flakiness of versioning worries me a good deal.  I'm hoping some of
the more experienced developers can advise me on whether I should
continue to use versioning and/or whether I have a corrupt ZODB.

What has been your experience with Versions?  Is this a reliable
feature of Zope?

Here's what happened: I recently committed a Version to the ZODB, but
Zope showed many of the objects as still having uncommitted changes
(the red diamond).  Further, Zope showed many items as having changed
that I know for a fact I did not edit (mainly Python scripts).  Worst
of all, the site became inaccessible to users, with Zope responding to
page requests with a VersionLockError.  Thankfully, Zope seems to have
committed the changes after I saved the Version changes a *second*
time, but the fact that Zope got so confused about what had changed
makes me reluctant to use versioning in the future.

--

Ed Goppelt