[Zope-dev] xmlrpc "500 Internal Server Error"

richard@bizarsoftware.com.au richard@bizarsoftware.com.au
Thu, 10 May 2001 14:23:06 +1000

richard@bizarsoftware.com.au wrote:
> Any clues as to how I trace the source of this error? I get it trying to
> make an xmlrpc call on my Zope server. I have other xmlrpc calls that work
> fine.
>
> It's not hitting my Product code, that I'm sure of...

Turns out I can trace this to:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/home/zope/Zope/lib/python/xmlrpclib.py", line 531, in loads
    p.feed(data)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/xmllib.py", line 149, in feed
    self.goahead(0)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/xmllib.py", line 227, in goahead
    self.syntax_error('illegal character in content')
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/xmllib.py", line 748, in syntax_error
    raise RuntimeError, 'Syntax error at line %d: %s' % (self.lineno,
message)
RuntimeError: Syntax error at line 34: illegal character in content

I'm using the latest xmlrpclib.py from www.pythonware.com for the client
side - so I'm happy to blame it for generating invalid XML. I don't know
whether it should or should not be dealing with the dodgy data I'm feeding
it, but I guessed from the xmlrpc "spec" that I should be safe feeding it
just about anything. Would it be possible though to have Zope handle this
sort of error rather than throw a "500 Internal Server Error"?

    Richard

--
Richard Jones
richard@bizarsoftware.com.au