oodb philosophics ;) was: Re: [Zope-dev] Experiments with ORMapping

David Brown ddb@namshub.org
Fri, 11 May 2001 13:11:53 -0700

At 08:38 PM 5/11/2001 +0200, you wrote:

 >E.g. how would
 >you handle objects beloning to more than one container? In SQL this is easy
 >(Just have a table that matches key pairs from the container table and the
 >item table).

I could do the same thing with Python, creating a dictionary that does the
mapping.  You'd have to maintain the dictionary, sure, but you'd have to
maintain the table in a relational database as well.

 > And I don't know any good way of implementing "many-to-many"
 >relations in object hierarchies. Let alone querying them efficiently.

Well, then we need a many-to-many mapping object.  The point is that we
could do this in Python and make the classes available, rather than
morphing our thought processes into whatever shape the RDBMS wants.

We're just missing some functionality, but it can be written without
rewriting the database code, because we can just store our objects
(representing indices or mappings or whatever) directly.

The cool thing about object stores is that you can use the object modeling
tools to do the job, and come up with specific (and more efficient)
solutions, rather than mapping a general (and possibly slower) solution
onto a specific problem.

dave