[Zope-dev] ZCatalog, REQUEST, misc.

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Tue, 15 May 2001 11:34:43 -0400

> Thanks for the fast reply!
>
> On Tue, 15 May 2001, Chris McDonough wrote:
>
> > Have you read
> > http://www.zope.org/Members/mcdonc/HowTos/UpgradeToNewCatalog/index_html
> > ? I suspect there will be improvement.
>
> Surely there will be improvement, but not of factors two or three, or
> more?

Probably not much difference on bare bulk indexing speed, but I'll bet that
it finishes this time. ;-)

> And, I can do the who adding process again, so I don't need to convert the
> Catalog.

That's good...

> > > If I do not uncomment those things in CatalogAwareness.py I get an
error
> > > on SERVER_URL.  I think it is resolve_url() that tries to make a run
for
> > > it.
> >
> > What are you referring to when you say "those things" in the sentence
above?

> Sorry, the lines 181-184 of CatalogAwareness.py:
>
>     def index_object(self):
>         """A common method to allow Findables to index themselves."""
> #        if hasattr(self, self.default_catalog):
> #
getattr(self,self.default_catalog).catalog_object(self,self.url()\
> )

I'd probably refrain from using a million CatalogAware objects.  Instead,
I'd either make my own CatalogAware-alike mixin class that did things a bit
differently than CatalogAware (perhaps didn't index on add, and didn't
unindex on delete), or I'd just manage the whole lot completely manually.
(How often will each of these million objects change?)

CatalogAware is fairly ancient code at this point, and I don't think it was
written with the mindset that there would be a million objects in any
particular catalog.