[Zope-dev] ZCatalog, REQUEST, misc.

Erik Enge erik@thingamy.net
Thu, 17 May 2001 16:46:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Chris McDonough wrote:

> I'd be curious to know how long a query that involves only a single
> field index takes, and how long a query that involves only a single text
> index takes... does each take a roughly equivalent amount of time?

I might be able to check that for you later tonight or during the
weekend.  What I did to solve my problems was to throw a couple of objects
around so that I now only have about 50k objects in the Catalog.

Boy it's fast.  I like! :)

> Or is one much faster than the other?  If one is not much faster than
> the other, it's a Catalog issue.  If one *is* much faster than the
> other, it's an Index issue.

Have you guys at DC not done testing on this?  Maybe we could set up a
"test-group" for each module in Zope, say Catalog/ZCatalog/SearchIndex,
that before each release, really beat the living shit about of it?  A bit
more coordinated.

> What's an acceptable query time for your application?  Are you sorting
> the results via sort_on?

Well, actually, the query time isn't that bad (now with only 50k objects),
it's all the problems a big result-set drags along with it that really
slows things down.