[Zope-dev] Bulletproof ZCatalog proposal

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 10:36:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Toby Dickenson wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2001 10:03:31 -0400 (EDT), Shane Hathaway
> <shane@digicool.com> wrote:
> >Right now ZCatalog randomly generates ConflictErrors even if there are no
> >conflicts in the data being indexed.  It's quite rare, however, and
> >there's machinery that retries the entire transaction up to three times
> >when it happens.
>
> If the current mechanism is reliable, and efficient (given that
> conflict/retries are rare) then I dont understand the motivation....

The system becomes less reliable as server load increases.  Large catalog
updates (where every object is reindexed) also generate a lot of
conflicts.

> > But I want it to be more reliable, especially so that
> >ZCatalog can be used in ZODB applications outside Zope.
>
> Is it because other non-Zope applications might not be so proficient
> at performing retries?

Yes.  Long-running transactions are especially problematic.

Shane