[Zope-dev] Zope 2.4.2 DTML Method Bug

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:56:36 -0500

On Friday 02 November 2001 06:51 am, Steve Alexander allegedly wrote:
> Matthew T. Kromer wrote:
> > I think that is fixed but I'm not positive that its in 2.4.2  -- I know
> > its on my 2_4 branch; I think we just barely missed this for 2.4.2 -- I
> > see the change going into the log about a week later.
> >
> > I'll ask Brian if we're going to put out a 2.4.3 to include the fix.
>
> Matt,
>
> Please see my report in the new Collector.
> The patch at the end of this email is better than the one in the
> Collector, and also not mangled by stx :-)
>

> Your fix in the trunk does only fixes the symptom. It does not address
> the problem of DTML Methods not being reenterant.

[snip]

> Here's my patch. As a bonus, we get rid of an unqualified except:
> statement.

Steve,

Your fix seems correct to me, just swallowing the exception is probably a
subtle security hole at worst at best it is just sweeping things "under the
rug" as it were.

It might be worth stating that constructs such as:

try: foo
except: pass

Smack of bad form and should be avoided at all costs... They can make
debugging a nightmare.

It would be nice if this patch could make it into 2.4.3b3. Thanks Steve!

  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org