[Zope-dev] Opinions wanted: clean installation (was distribution)

Matt Behrens matt.behrens@kohler.com
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 07:24:00 -0500

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:

> Got in a little late in the discussion. Here is our current setup, for
> running multiple zopes with multiple instances. It is designed to be self
> contained with everything needed in one place, and also to be all managed by
> the user "zope". Can you see any disadvantages with this setup?

Yeah, I think the biggest problem with this setup is that it is all
under one tree, which is what my proposal is trying to move away from in
the first place.  In the (admittedly shorter than some) time I've spent
working on FreeBSD and OpenBSD ports, I have yet to run into a package
that's important enough to give it its own directory, although several
think they are.  We took PostgreSQL, for example, right out of it's
little /usr/local/pgsql hierarchy in the interest of not polluting
/usr/local and PATHs.  I know the JDKs that we have are currently in
/usr/local/jdkX.Y.Z, but that's (unfortunately) because lots of Java
software expects it to be in some similar arrangement to that.

Also, having the software core owned by the instance user isn't a really
big issue in terms of a security risk, but it is so easy to correct that
it's not really desirable.

--
Matt Behrens <matt.behrens@kohler.com>
System Analyst, Baker Furniture