[Zope-dev] What to do when one mail recipient fails out of several?

Matt Hamilton matth@netsight.co.uk
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:33:49 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Trevor Toenjes wrote:

> Next week I get a new list of 500 emails that has never been tested. I would
> like to do an SMTP handshake(without sending) to verify the
> domains/addresses that will accept the emails, and remove the addresses that
> fail.  This makes bounce management much cleaner and lowers overhead when
> you actually send the messages.

This is not actually possible with SMTP.  Various MTAs do have the
functionality to let you know if they can route to that domain, but that
still does not guarentee that the username will be accepted, or that the
MX host for that domain is actually accepting mail.

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton                                         matth@netsight.co.uk
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.          Business Vision on the Internet