[Zope-dev] SiteAccess improvements

Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:46:07 -0800

One thing that might be nice - and something I was planning on working on
relatively soon was a rewrite rule wizard to extend VHM to auto-write
rewrite rules for use with a front-end Apache/Squid; this would support
mod_rewrite and Pyredir (a python-based Squid redirector).  The idea would
be that the rules could be copied by a site admin from their browser viewing
a VHM management page and pasted into Apache's httpd.conf or a Squid
redirector's conf file.

I don't have code yet, but eventually plan to do this; would this kind of
modification be useful to anybody?

In the long run, if a "registry" of virtual host monsters is in the control
panel, and could be queried via XML-RPC, it seems an Apache module or Squid
redirector could be built or modified to make those servers use that data
automatically!  I would be tempted, for example, to hack Pyredir (since I
primarily use Squid), to use its conf file for most of its rewrite rules,
but query Zope via XML-RPC for supplementary rules associated with VHM
instances as well on initial load or SIGHUP or Pyredir.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: emf [mailto:mindlace@imeme.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2001 12:13 AM
To: zope-dev@zope.org; evan@zope.com
Subject: [Zope-dev] SiteAccess improvements

Hello,

There's a very nearly "orphaned proposal":
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/SiteAccessUsuabilityImprovements

iMeme has already done some work towards these goals with
"SiteAccessEnhanced":
http://www.zope.org/Members/sfm/SiteAccessEnhanced

I am taking over this effort, and I have some near-term "goals outlined":
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/SiteAccessProposedSolutions

I intend to deliver the VHM improvements before the AccessRule improvements.

Please give feedback on this proposal, and let me know what I need to do
to move this into the project phase.

Thanks,
--
ethan mindlace fremen  |  iMeme - The most full featured Zope Host
http://mindlace.net    |  Root, ZEO, MySQL, Mailman, Unlimited Domains