[Zope-dev] Open Letter to zope-dev

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:29:46 +0000

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:28:44 +0000, Steve Alexander
<steve@cat-box.net> wrote:

>Does the fishbowl process address what you said about having to fight to=
=20
>get things done the right way, even when you've already produced the=20
>code, and making up for people's lack of time to do everything?

In my experience (I have been out of touch since the CVS opening, but
is still fairly relevant) the fishbowl has proved a good way of
collecting discussion about changes, and a *very* good way of making
the community aware of imminent changes. However, awareness is not the
same as getting things 'done the right way'. Specifically, I have been
disappointed at my (as a community member) ability to influence:
1. The outcome of an internal zope.com fishbowl proposal when I think
it is leading the Zope source in a wrong direction.
2. The outcome of my fishbowl proposals that are not aligned with
current zope.com project.

I thinks thats true of fishbowl projects, and the second of true of
smaller collector-hosted issues too.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com