[Zope-dev] "Community doing it for themselves"

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:07:20 +0000

Seb,

You raise some good points, the main one being "why aren't we doing it for ourselves".

The answer lies in one of the machanics of OSS: forking and splitting is bad.

Why? because it divides effort and means a project, for example Zope, overall doesn't get as far as it would have done
otherwise.

That is why changes that aren't endorsed by ZC, particularly with their new legals grasp on logos and marks, aren't
going to get anywhere.

This whole area is a fiendishly difficult problem. Mozilla hasn't got it right, some would argue that even Linux hasn't.
The answers aren't going to be easy to find, but we as a community do need to find them, however, only ZC can make them
work.

And they have their own issues, what with needing to make money out of Zope, which means intrinsically that all of us
outside of Zope Corp are in competition with them.

It's complicated...

Chris