[Zope-dev] file descriptors on Solaris [SUMMARY]

Andreas Jung Andreas Jung" <andreas@zope.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:06:00 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Ziniti" <jziniti@speakeasy.org>
To: <zope-dev@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 14:50
Subject: Re: [Zope-dev] file descriptors on Solaris [SUMMARY]

> PROGNOSIS:
> The problem (on Solaris) is not very easy to fix, since it lies in the
> system-wide definition of a file descriptor, which uses only one byte
> to store the fd value (i.e., anything higher than 256 is meaningless,
> and truncated??).  Changing this struct is not easy.  The problem is
> not that Zope is exceeding the *allowed* number of FD's (usually
> policed by the shell), but that Zope is exceeding the *meaningful*
> number of FD's. This sucks. :-)

This is nonsense. Solaris allows of course to use more than 256 FDs.
I don't know how they are stored inside the kernel but I have been using
Solaris in projects where we used 1024 FDs and more. Zope does not
increase the number of allowed FDs (resource module) but inherits
the settings from the environment where Zope gets started.

The number of FDs are set in Solaris in /etc/system:

set rlim_fd_max = 4096
set rlim_fd_cur = 1024

Solaris 7+ allows up to 65536 FDs.

Cheers,