[Zope-dev] ZTables and/or Catalog plugable brains?

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 07:46:21 -0400

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure why the idea of ZTables went away so completely.
> Python tables in the ZODB combined with the catalog should make for an
> interesting system to play with. Though perhaps there are products
> out there that actually do this. Come to think of it, MetaPublisher
> (not to be confused with MetaKit) can use a ZODB backend, can't it?

ZTables was a Zope1 product.  We never updated it for Zope2.  There's so
much new machinery in Zope, particularly regarding indexing, that
ZTables would really only serve as interesting requirements input.

I certainly think that some kind of generic table tool in Zope would be
useful.  I'm sure that others could do a better job of it than ZTables
did, in light of all that's happened in Zope and the CMF since then.  In
fact, Formulator probably has a role as well.

--Paul