[Zope-dev] A modest proposal: Replace medusa with Twisted

kapil thangavelu k_vertigo@yahoo.com
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:09:07 -0700

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 08:09 am, Michel Pelletier wrote:

> Just to throw out another idea, Amos has discussed with me in the past the
> idea of replacing medusa with Apache 2.0.  Compelling as many of Twisted's
> features may be, Apache 2.0 as far as i can tell supports many of them as
> well (except perhaps jython integration, which is a pipe dream anyway for
> Zope).  Apache has the upshot in that it is rock solid, tested by millions,
> trusted by even more, and no doubt one of the most actively developed
> peices of software there is.
>
> For ZC the upshots of 1) not needing to maintain it, and 2) it being a
> excellent marketing tool outweight many technical benifits that twisted may
> have that Apache doesn't (I'd like to know what the differences are,
> however).  For example, does twisted do URL rewriting?  proxy?
> process/thread job control?

i'd never thought i'd see the day, open source software advocating the
inclusion of other open source software because of marketing dictates.

> I'm not dismissing the idea, I'm just pointing out an alternative to
> Itamar's alternative.  ;)

my alternative to your alternative, is aolserver and mozilla. no mozilla
isn't a webserver, but why should zope be either.

cheers

kapil